Jamila is the Founder of Bellydance Extraordinaire (BE), and the Organizer of the World Belly Dance Festival and Extraordinary Goddess Pageant. She is Singapore’s Golden Flower and Istanbul’s Oriental Dance dual-championship winner. Jamila is Singapore’s most influential and outstanding Oriental Dance artiste. She graduated with a Master’s Degree in Business Administration from the University of South Australia. She was the first dance artiste invited to perform Oriental Dance at Shanghai “So You Think You Can Dance 2013” TV Show. She was also the first bellydancer to perform on China CCTV’s largest and most popular mainstream variety show “舞出我人生”. In Singapore, she was the first and only dance artiste to organise a large-scale musical theatre bellydance show at the National University of Singapore (NUS) Auditorium. Jamila was the first and only instructor to be invited to conduct Oriental Dance lessons on Mediacorp Channel 8, "Good Morning, Singapore". She is a Judge for Miss World Singapore in 2018, 2019 and 2022.
Since the age of 8, Jamila trained as a pianist in classical music. From 14, she modelled in her spare time, gaining invaluable on-stage experiences that would help her later in career as a dance artiste. Jamila travelled to the origin of authentic Oriental Dancing in Egypt and Turkey, where she trained and studied with top Dance Masters from around the world. Believing in learning from the best; Jamila travels extensively to integrate new, innovative elements into her dance style. Over the years, she has developed her own unique, elegant style of bellydancing that is mesmerising and beautiful to watch. As an Asian Chinese, Jamila garnered praise, recognition and tremendous popularity from her students, fellow dancers and fans, for her forte in Oriental Dancing. Jamila actively develop and groom new dancers - providing them guidance and opportunities to perform on the world-stage. She has been invited to teach and perform world-wide, and is also a familiar face with Singapore’s Mediacorp station for TV appearances and performances.
To date, Jamila has over 512,000 Facebook fans and 32,000 Instagram followers. Her audience include the President of Singapore, Mdm Halimah Yacob, former Presidents of Singapore Dr Tony Tan and the late Mr S. R. Nathan, the late Founding Father of Singapore Mr Lee Kuan Yew, Emeritus Senior Minister Mr. Goh Chok Tong, and many other prominent Ministers, business and local leaders.
Since 2009, Jamila and the BE dance troupe frequently devote time and energy to helping the less fortunate through charity work and fund-raising dance performances - by generating and spreading positive energies of love and compassion. She has assisted organizations like Sian Chay Medical Institution to raise SGD $2,387,173 in charity funds for the less fortunate:
- $420,928 at the 2021 Sian Chay Bonds and Shines with You Gala Show
- $1,557,047 at the 2019 Beauty with a Purpose Charity Gala Show
- $268,126 at the 2018 World Belly Dance Festival
- $112,000 at the 2016 World Belly Dance Festival
Jamila believes that we can all enjoy a serene, beautiful world from the positive energies of dance and charity work - because in helping others, we are also helping ourselves physically, mentally and spiritually - and that is life’s greatest joy.
”舞蹈是修身，慈善是修心，两者相结合，世界更美丽。“ - Jamila 海青
Highlights from Jamila's career;
- Organized the 6th World Belly Dance Festival.
- Organized the Extraordinary Goddess Pageant. The Pagent's goal is for women to push past their boundaries, establish a supporting sisterhood and pursue their dreams.
- Led the BE Dance Troupe in Sian Chay Medical Institution’s series of weekly online “Ge-Tai” fund-raising dance performances between Aug to Oct 2022. As a whole, the event raised over SGD $500,000.
- Invited Judge for the 2022 Miss World Singapore Pageant. BE's dance troupe was also invited to perform the opening dance for the event.
- Led the BE Dance Troupe in Sian Chay Medical Institution’s “Sian Chay Bonds and Shines with You Gala Show” to raise funds with dance performances. In total, the event itself raised over SGD $420,000.
- Organizer of the 2019 World Belly Dance Festival
- Participated in Sian Chay Medical Institution’s “Beauty with a Purpose Gala Show” to raise funds with dance performances. In total, the event itself raised over SGD $2,007,047.
- Invited to France to represent Singapore at the Oriental Marathon Festival as Guest Performer and Judge.
- Invited Judge for the 2019 Miss World Singapore Pageant. BE's dance troupe was also invited to perform the opening dance for the event.
- Invited by Ms Julia Morley (Founder of Miss World) to Sanya, China for the crowning of Miss World 2019.
- Organized the 2018 World Belly Dance Festival and raised SGD$268,126 in charity donations with dance performances during the Opening Gala Show for Sian Chay Medical Institute. The Guests of Honor were Mr Daryl David, Member of Parliament & Mr. Wang Jiarong, Counsellor and Consul General, Embassy of the People's Republic of China.
- Invited to Hungary (Cairo! Fest) to represent Singapore at their Oriental Dance Festival. Jamila was the Guest Performer and Judge.
- Invited Judge for the 2018 Miss World Singapore Pageant. BE's dance troupe was also invited to perform the opening dance for the event.
- Invited Guest Performer and Judge in China's Oriental Festival (Arita Festival)
- Organized the 2016 World Belly Dance Festival, and raised SGD$112,000 in charity funds during the Opening Gala Show for Sian Chay Medical Institute. The Guest of Honor was Ms. Low Yen Ling, Senior Parliamentary Secretary, Ministry of Trade and Industry & Ministry of Education.
- Invited to perform for Sian Chay Medical Institution’s 2016 Presidential Charity Show
- Invited to represent Singapore as the Star Performer, Judge and Master Teacher at Oriental Festivals in Seoul, South Korea(Mabrouk Festival), and Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- Organized the 2015 World Belly Dance Festival. Member of Parliament for Tampines GRC, Mr & Mrs. Baey Yam Keng, were the invited Guests of Honor.
- BE’s founder, Jamila, was invited to represent Singapore as the Star Performer, Judge and Master Teacher at Oriental Festivals in Shanghai (Bellydance China) & Xi'an, China, as well as Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- Organized the 2014 World Belly Dance Festival. Minister of State and Minister of Health, Dr. Lam Pin Min, was the invited Guest of Honor.
- Invited to represent Singapore as the Special Guest Performer and Master Teacher at Oriental Festivals in Shanghai (Bellydance China) & Xiamen, China.
- Dual-Championship winner of the Traditional and Fusion categories at the Rakkas Istanbul International Oriental Dance Festival. She was also voted as a World Bellydance Star. She garnered fame and accolade for the Chinese community.
- Participated in "So You Think You Can Dance", Shanghai/China. Jamila’s segment attained the highest viewership during that season. Commented as having the face of an angel, and a figure to die-for, she received many praises from judges Yang Liping and Jin Xing (famous dancers from China).
- Performed in the ”舞出我人生” Live Show, aired on China CCTV. She is the first to bring it the China’s primary mainstream television.
- Guest performer and teacher at the Nile Group, Beijing/China.
- Organized a unique musical drama show in Singapore with a Cleopatra theme, entitled "穿越 (Chuan Yue)”.
- Invited to perform at the Singapore Chinese Embassy.
- Invited to performed in a live dance duet with Taiwanese International singer Qi Yu. The show had an audience in excess of 7,000. Invited to performed in the "Sheng Siong Live Show", aired on local television, Mediacorp Channel 8.
- Organized Singapore's large-scale Oriental Dance Musical Concert show at the National University of Singapore. A unique, “first-of-its-kind” performance show that sold out within 3 days.
- Invited to perform at Singapore's 2011 Chingay Festival.
- First and only instructor in Singapore to conduct a series of Oriental Dance lessons over 16 weeks on air over local television, Mediacorp Channel 8. It received very high viewership.
- Invited to perform at the Closing festival of Singapore's Youth Olympic Games.
- Invited to perform for famed international pianist, Guy Manoukian, at the Singapore Esplanade.
- Represented Singapore in the "Golden Flower Beauty Pageant" on Vietnam's HCM television station. In the same year, she was invited as a Guest Performer on China's Guangxi Satellite television station. Jamila was also invited as a Guest Lecturer on the Art of Bellydancing at the Guangxi University of Arts (广西艺术学院)
- Championship winner, Solo Category, Asia Global Belly Dance Competition